Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks to change the lives of children facing adversity for the better, forever. We operate in communities all across the National Capital Area.
BBBSNCA has been consistently recognized nationally and locally as a high-performing mentoring organization with a strong record of success and program innovation.
Research by Public/Private Ventures shows Big Brothers Big Sisters programs have measurable impact.
- A recent study found that adult mentors and their mentees consistently spend more time together in Big Brothers Big Sisters match relationships and continue as a match for longer periods than those in other mentoring programs.
- 83% of former Littles surveyed agree that their Bigs instilled values and principles that have guided them through life.
Our mentors work with children and their parents, in children’s schools, on military bases, and many places in between.
In the Washington area, an average BBBS match relationship lasts 4-1/2 years . . . or a lifetime!
Who do we serve?
- Big Brothers Big Sisters seeks to change the lives of children facing adversity between 7 and 18 years of age.
- We strengthen families/guardians of Littles with professional support.
- Our network of volunteers, donors and supporters comes from all walks of life, all backgrounds, all corners of the country.
What do we achieve?
- Big Brothers Big Sisters helps children achieve success in school, helps them avoid risky behaviors, such as getting into fights and trying drugs and alcohol, and helps them improve their self-confidence.
- We hold ourselves accountable to our supporters by regularly measuring our impact with annual program evaluations of every match.
And we couldn’t do any of it without you.
The fact 90 cents of every dollar is invested in Big Brothers Big Sisters programs makes your financial support a wise investment.
The Big Brothers Big Sisters Match
A Big Brothers Big Sisters’ match is carefully administered and held to the strictest standards. Professional staff strives for matches that are not only safe and well suited to each child’s needs, but also harmonious and built to last.
But don’t just think of us as simply matchmakers.
We provide ongoing support and supervision to the Big, the Little, and the Little’s family/guardian. We offer training and advice to help ensure that the match is working for everyone involved. And this helps strengthen families.
BBBSNCA’s leadership team’s performance has been recognized nationally by Big Brothers Big Sisters National Professional Association.
- In 2000, Wilfred Haynes, Sr., Manager of Washington, DC Programs was named National Case Manager of the Year and in 2002, Edmund Lee, Washington, DC Program Coordinator, also received this award.
- In 2001 Denise Williams, Vice President of Programs was named Program Manager of the Year.
- In 2006 Jorge Bustios, Director of Hermanos y Hermanas Mayores Latino Outreach Initiative, received the Program Manager of the Year Award.
This professional staff recognition is unprecedented within the network of independent BBBS organizations in the United States.
If You Believe in Big Brothers Big Sisters, You Can Support Us Now!
Forbes Magazine singled out Big Brothers Big Sisters as one of the Top 10 Charities and cited BBBS for giving a “better bang for the donor’s buck.“
Show your support by donating today.